Friday, January 7, 2011

Tate Modern (Jan.5)

The Tate Modern has one of the more unique museum layouts that I have been through. Instead of seeing the welcome desk when we enter, we walk down a cavernous turbine room, in which factory machine scents still linger. The upper floors are filled with exhibitions, usually too crowded to properly experience or enjoy. As I'm a huge fan of Monet, I wanted to sit to take time to look at one of his Water Lilies paintings (ca 1916). There were a few gloriously quiet moments while I took in the natural colors and the play of light, how none of the saturated blots of paint overpower any part of the painting. But when the next wave of people came milling through the doors, it became difficult to concentrate on Monet's work, and difficult to fully enjoy its beauty.
I also saw works by Claes Oldenburg, Roy Lichtenstein, Andy Warhol, Ana Mendieta, and Salvador Dali--just to name a few--which I am able to appreciate now as compared to when I was here four years ago. One of my goals on the London Art Seminar is to see in person the works that I've studied in my art and art history classes, and perhaps connect with the actual work, not some image in my textbook or on my computer screen.

Lunch at the Tate Modern was such a pleasure. Though the food we ordered was somewhat pricey, my friend and I were seated in a corner by the window. Not only were we far from the chaotic bustle of the waiters and waitresses in the central aisle, we had a good view of all the different people entering and exiting the building. Our sandwich was delicious, and our toffee pudding dessert was a highlight of the day. I finished off my meal with a foamy latte--a good meal is essential to a good day.

My friend and I walked across the Millennium Bridge to get to Mansion House station. Despite the drizzle and rush hour, we were able to get a few good photographs of London at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment